Day 1 - (L)
Around 8:30 AM, you will be picked up from your hotel for this wonderful all-day tour.
Your guide will take you to Pergamum and Asclepion. You will then have free time to explore Pergamum town.
After the tour, at about 6:00 PM, you will be transferred to your hotel - or we can drop you off downtown.
Sites you'll see today:
* Pergamum is one of the seven churches of Revelation. As the early Christians traveled along the Asian Minor caravan routes, it became one of the largest cities of the area.
It was rivaled only by Ephesus in its wealth, temples, and beauty. The ancient acropolis dominates the view from all around. Most memorable to you will probably be Pergamum's ancient theatre. Carved straight out of the high hill-side, it is one of the steepest ancient theatres in the world--and the view is amazing. Sites in Pergamum to see include the Acropolis, Asclepion, and Red Basilica.
* Asclepion: south of the Acropolis, down in the valley, was the Sanctuary of Asclepius (also known as the Asclepieion), a place of healing. Here, those with health problems could bathe in the water of the sacred spring, and in the patients' dreams Asclepius would appear in a vision to tell them how to cure their illness. Archeology has found lots tributes and dedications that people would make afterwards, such as small terracotta body parts, no doubt representing what had been healed.
Notable extant structures in the Asclepieion include: the Roman theater, the North & South Stoa, the Temple of Asclepius, a circular treatment center, a healing spring, an underground passageway, and a library.
Prices are starting from 65 Euros per person in a double, contact us to get a price quote for your dates
* Pick up and drop off at the hotel
* Professional, English-speaking tour guides
* Admissions to Pergamum and Asclepion
* Lunch at a local restaurant
All taxes and service charges