(Available every day!)
Day - 1: Istanbul to Trabzon
Early in the morning, we will meet you at your hotel and transfer you to the Istanbul domestic airport for a 1-hour 30-minute flight from Istanbul to Trabzon.
Upon arrival, you will be met by your guide and who will accompany you on a guided tour of Sumela Monastery. On the way, we will see Gumushane and Karaca Cave in the picturesque Pontic Mountains.
After our visit, we will drive to Trabzon, where we'll see Hagia Sophia Church and Ataturk's Mansion. You may then spend the rest of the day exploring Trabzon.
Overnight stay in Trabzon
A little about Trabzon:
The earliest evidence of civilization in Trabzon dates back to 7,000 BC. Established as a Greek colony (along with Amasra and Sinop), the town benefited from its position on the busy trade route running between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. It grew quickly and was a focal point for the Pontic kings. At the beginning of the 13 th century, the Commagene dynasty established its capital at Trabzon. During the Commagene era, the city gained a reputation as a beautiful abd sophisticated cultural center. The Genoese and the Venetians came here to trade as Trabzon was the terminus of a northern branch of the Silk Route. In 1461, Trabzon fell under Ottoman rule.
* Sumela Monastery sits high up on the cliffs of Mela, southeast of Trabzon. It was founded in the 4th century by two Greek monks, Barnabas and Sophronius, who were guided to the site by an icon of a "black" image of the Virgin Mary, elegantly painted by St. Luke. After their deaths, Sumela became a place of pilgrimage. Decorated with frescoes, Sumela's treasures include priceless manuscripts and silver plates. Since the monastery was rebuilt several times, the ruins seen today date largely to the 19th century. During the Ottoman era, Sumela enjoyed the protection of the sultans, but it was ultimately abandoned and also badly-damaged during the War of Independence. In recent years, thankfully, extensive restoration has been carried out.
Day 2: Trabzon to Istanbul - (B)
After breakfast, we will provide a transfer to Trabzon Airport and put you on a flight back to Istanbul. Arriving in Istanbul will mark the end of this program.
We look forward to seeing you on a future trip!
Prices are starting from 385 Euros per person in a double, contact us to get a price quote for your dates
* All hotels
* All land transfers in comfortable vehicles
* Domestic flight tickets from Istanbul to Trabzon
* Domestic flight tickets from Trabzon to Istanbul
* All meals mentioned in the itinerary (B-breakfast, L-lunch & D-dinner)
* Admission to Sumela Monastery
* All taxes and service charges
(NOTE: This is a fully-customizable program and is available all year round. If you are interested in obtaining more information about early booking, cash-paying discounts, hotel names (and web sites), or daily departure times, simply send back to us your e-mail inquiry, letting us know the dates you wish to travel, and we'll get back with you very soon.
You also may choose to extend your stay by adding-on such destinations Cappadocia, Ephesus, Pamukkale, etc., in order to fit your time and travel interests.)
Back to "Black Sea tours" main page